Monday, April 25, 2011

Stu Update 4

Hey everyone! Happy belated Easter!

We had an exciting weekend at the Ruddick/Haller household. Barry came in town Wednesday night to be at the house for the furniture delivery Thursday! So we now have a house almost full of furniture. We are still missing our new sectional and ottoman, but I'm just happy to have a table. I will post more on that tomorrow/tonight/whenever I get motivated.

The real point of this post is to let you all know that it has been 2 weeks since little Stu had his back surgery, and he is doing so so so well! He is such a trooper. 2 weeks of kennel rest down, 2 to go!

The first couple days he didn't really move at all, I had to hold him up when he went to the bathroom, cause he couldn't work his legs, but he did have control over his bladder, which is a really good sign!

After a few days he was able to put pressure on his back legs, so if I set him down he could stay standing if I was making sure he didn't fall from side to side. Then he was able to stand up from a laying position, which is huge!! He got lots of chicken treats for that! Every day we work on his standing to make sure he isn't developing a weird swagger (which the Dr's and Barry call a "gate", I call a "swagger" cause he looks like a drunk).

Then Stu started to move his left leg, and if he started to tip over he could catch himself on the left side!

Now he can use both legs and actually walk!!!! He is amazing! He still is a little shaky but he is really walking! You can tell he is really proud of himself!

I'm so happy with the results of the surgery, and we still have two weeks to go!

Here are some pics of my baby!
Stu's scar is about 5 inches long and has 10 staples (or did until he got ahold of one). He has to wear a soft cone whenever he is by himself cause he cannot be trusted on pain medication.


Here is Stu sitting on Barry, (they are both so cute) this is just after Barry got home on Wednesday and Stu was so excited! I think Stewie loves him more than me! He can't be out of his kennel for very long, but I figured it was a special occasion!


Stu sleeping last night while I watched Role Models and the King's Speech!

Tomorrow morning is our first vet appointment following the surgery! Hopefully the doctor will tell us that Stu is doing awesome, and they can take the staples out! I'll let you know!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Katie, we really enjoyed the update on Stu. It sounds like you are a very good nurse. Did you watch the wedding this morning? That was very beautiful. We are looking foreword to next weekend. We send our love, Grandma and Grandpa.

    ReplyDelete